Friday, May 22, 2009

Frugal Friday Emma Land


This week I am participating in Frugal Friday- Life As Mom hosts this wonderful weekly event to provide an avenue to discuss ways to cut costs.


It all started with this. A simple little playhouse that looked like fun, but had a price tag that I just couldn't justify. One Sunny Fall day, When Emma was just two months old my husband came home with this house and a smile. "I Got a Great Deal" he said proudly. My stomach was in a knot. His good deals are not always what I consider good deals. "How Much?" I asked. "5 bucks" he replied. THAT IS MY KIND OF DEAL!


Why do I love Little Tikes toys? They last forever and when we are done building memories and imagination through endless hours of exploration, role playing and fun. Some one else will get some great deals from me when I pass these virtually indestructible toys on to other boys and girls. Friday morning I get up and have my tea with the classified section of our paper. There I scout out the weekend sales that advertise toys and Little Tikes, Little Tykes, and Step 2. Then we have 10 tons of fun adding desirable playground equipment for tiny fractions of original costs. I have rarely spent over $20 for large items.

Some of my best deals:



8 in 1 Climber- Retails for $499.99
I Paid $75.00
The price made me gulp, but was so worth it. We Spend hours climbing and sliding.







PicNic Table Retails for $79.99
$5 at Garage Sale






Triangle Climber $250 Retail

$5 Garage Sale






Castle Playhouse

FREE on the side of a road




I head out early and offer lower than most people ask, sometimes you don't even have to ask- they have no idea how wonderful their things are and price low to sell. We have had endless hours of play and so many sweet memories of Emma! The gift on an imagination is priceless, but I am glad I have the good Sense to not buy at retail, we have just as much fun on our gently used Little Tikes Wonderland.


Last year we went to a day care closing sale and were able to buy 2 kitchen sets, fish ride on, turtle covered sandbox, easel, rocket ride, Winnie the Pooh stroller, and a trike (all Little tikes for $24 total). So head out early and make an adventure out of it!

.

Turn it into an adventure- Set price guidelines and help them budget. Have a master "plan" list for the things you really want to find.


2 comments: